Wednesday, February 1, 2012

German Names and Meanings in Nazi Germany?

Could someone help me with names for these Characters in Nazi Germany?





1. A girl, preferably meaning angel, prisoner, kind or beauty. She's from a noble family.





2. A Jewish German boy, preferably meaning hope.|||Your question cannot be answered. Most traditional German names are from a nordic origin, and names referring to religion came only into use in Nazi times. (Yes, earlier too, when Jewish people were also persecuted and killed. It didn't start with the Nazis, but with the first Christian crusade in the middle ages. Fundamental religionism has been the plague of mankind ever since, but that's not on topic here.)





The second name should be "Aaron", as Aaron, according to the testament, means "hope". The first name should be "Sarah".





These are normal names nowadays, and I don't really like to think of a regime where people were renamed just because they were from another culture. It has been enough of a trauma for me when my stepfather tried to convert my father's name into his, which I successfully refused when I was a ten-year-old before a family court. And they even didn't ask me to change my first name, or add something to it.





btw, my name "Alwin" is nordic and means "friend of the elves", or wizard. A good one, I think. I wouldn't exchange it for "Aaron".|||Try these websites;|||???

No comments:

Post a Comment